India

a 45 yrs old female is in late pulmonary septicemia stage, on ventilator. a bacteria legunela and ac virus has been found. will she survive?any drug?

Dr. Phil Chen
Depends: It all depends on patient current status and how the patient respond to current treatment. I believes you should have infecticous specialist on board to take care the infection now and he/she could find proper medication for it. God bless you!
Dr. Rada Ivanov
Pulmonary Critical Care 31 years experience
Depends: No magic drug for this. I am sure legionella and the virus are being treated. Her prognosis depends on how many other organ systems beside the lungs have failed. Her age is a plus - she is young. If she was previously healthy, that is a plus too. Talk to your doctors about survival chances as well as lifestyle - is she likely to get off the ventilator? Discuss with rest of family. Good luck!

Last updated Sep 16, 2012