why am i so hungry before my period?

Dr. Michael Swor
Hormonal changes: Mother nature probably is trying to help "fatten you up" in case you are pregnant each month.

Why does getting my period make me hungry?

Dr. Stephen Sudler
Hormone changes: This is due to a change in your hormonal levels that occurs near and through menstruation. It is quite normal to have this symptom.

Is it normal for me not to be hungry on my period ?

Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Yes: The hormonal changes of your cycle may be responsible. It may be helpful to stick to a sensible diet to avoid the overeating that follows this fasting.

Why am i so hungry 2 weeks before my period?

Dr. Nonyelu Anyichie
Hungar pangs: There is no known medical explanation for your concerns. It appears to be a random occurrence. I will suggest that you eat healthy. If you are hungry, snack on fruits and vegetables if you feel hungry after a regular meal. Hydrate well. Speak to your doctor if your concerns continue.

Why do I get so hungry before my period? Like i could just eat for hours!

Dr. Jane Van Dis
Totally normal!: This happens to me too. It's due to changes in hormones. Progesterone is an appetite stimulant and it is the predominant hormone in that phase of the menstrual cycle. I, personally, try to ignore the hunger so i don't gain weight :-).
Spring Valley, NY

When i get my period i get so hungry even after a meal i don't get full and after 15 minutes i'am hungry again. What should I do?

Dr. Henry Jacobs
Birth control pills: Take the pills non-stop for several months. This way you don't get a period it may help your skin and you can see if that helps your problem with binge overeating. If not, you may need some nutritional counselling.
Dr. Margret Rose Dellosso
Clinical Psychology 19 years experience
Talk therapy can also be beneficial to assess the emotional triggers for binge overheating and effective solutions.
Apr 23, 2014

Last updated Jul 29, 2015