Japan

is herceptin (trastuzumab) still effective if i stop for 2 mos then continue it because of unavoidable circumstances?

Dr. Christian Schultheis
Hematology and Oncology 24 years experience
I would say yes: If we look at the data when someone has metastatic disease, the drug works great. In addition, in the original trial, patients were able to start even is there was a delay. This was when the original data was released. Even if they completed their chemo, they were able to start Herceptin (trastuzumab) if it was less than a year. So yes, start again.
Dr. Devon Webster
Medical Oncology 22 years experience
Yes!: In the us, the studies of Herceptin (trastuzumab) looked at a full year of treatment for patients with curable breast cancer. Herceptin (trastuzumab) is given every three weeks for 17 doses. But why a year? It was chosen at random. In finland, a similar study gave only 9 weeks of herceptin (trastuzumab)... And patients did just as well! so i think you should feel reassured that you will still have a positive effect from the drug!