how bad is back pain during a kidney infection?

Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Nephrology and Dialysis 42 years experience
Pretty bad: Kidney infection called pyelonephritis can cause back pain and fever. This condition usually reuires admission to hospital and antibiotics.The pain is present in the "loin" area which is just below the rib cage in the back on the sides of the backbone.
Dr. Phillip Porch
General Practice 40 years experience
Can be severe: It can be a very bad pain and usually is.
Dr. Michael Yu
Dr. Michael Yu commented
Urology 26 years experience
The pain with kidney infections is usually extreme. Pyelonephritis is also associated with intermittent high fevers. If you're having these symptoms, best be seen ASAP. Untreated kidney infections can lead to scarring and permanent kidney damage, or abscess and life-threatening infection.
Feb 5, 2012