FL

the archof my left foot has begun to fall. the mri revealed several tears in the tendon. one recommendation is to remove the cartilidge and fuse the bones. any comment?

Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 31 years experience
A viable option: Depending on how old the tears are. If "fresh" tears, they can be repaired but if these are chronic tears that have already led to structural changes, then fusion and reconstrution may be necessary.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
I assume you : Have pain? Have you tried conservative treatment i.E bracing of the foot and then into an orthotic? If you have pain and conservative treatment failed surgery is an option. Before, considering a fusion, i would contemplate an implant of the subtalar joint if you have a flexible foot. This procedure if indicated is powerful and minimally invasive.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016