how do i minimize the appearance of a surgical scar following heart surgery. does the person responsible for closing the sutures contribute to the final appearance?

Dr. Stephen Camacho
Skin scars: It takes about a year for skin scars to look like they will for the rest of your life. When the skin is closed and healed, try using lotion with vitamin E and cocoa butter and massage into the scar daily. Also remember sunscreen, these techniques will give your scar a better chance of healing up well.
Dr. Sharon Ann Clark
Plastic Surgery 41 years experience
Silicone; kenalog (triamcinolone) : The less stretch or tension with the arms to the chest results in less scars for 6 monthes.The scar over the sternum can become raised and hypertrophic in some people. Excellent studies have shown that thick silicone sheets with pressure on the scar can decrease the scar if 12 hours daily for 2 - 3 months. One can also inject with kenalog (triamcinolone) and xylocaine with Epinephrine once every month for 3 times.