careful what i eat. visited by parent from nursing home and teen who spend summer abroad. could i have gotten upset bowel from them?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Kevin Passer
34 years experience Child Psychiatry
Unlikely: I guess you could have some sort of unusual virus, but i doubt it. A lot of things are possible, but not necessarily probable. Maybe the visits were stressful for you in some way, and it caused a 'bout of something called irritable bowel syndrome. There are some treatments for this condition, which is not uncommon. I suggest an examination by your doctor. I treat my patients with ibs with bentyl (dicyclomine).
Answered on Sep 6, 2012
Dr. Carla Enriquez
49 years experience Pediatrics
Common things: Common things occur commonly, rare things occur rarely. The most common (and likely) reason is a GI virus. Gi viruses are exceedingly common in the summer in the northern hemispheres. The visits were probably coincidental. If it is a virus, it will likely resolve itself in a few days. If abdominal symptoms continue, see your doctor.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014