is it safe to have lasik eye surgery while pregnant?

Dr. David Zisow
No: Lasik is "safe" from the perspective of risks of harm to the mother or fetus but, "will the procedure be effective"? Pregnancy is associated with visual accuity changes related to fluid retention and corneal edema. Elective vision correction surgery is best done in a baseline non-pregnant condition to achieve long term good results. More than "what meets the eye" must be considered here.
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Specializes in Gynecology
Yes: Its safe, but i don't think any opthalmologist would do it.
Dr. Jay Pepose
Ophthalmology 39 years experience
No.: Hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause changes in the shape of the cornea, just as they allow ligaments in the body to relax, resulting in fluctuating vision before or after lasik. Dry eye also is more common during pregnancy and this has been associated with regression of the laser effect. Many doctors give Valium preop and steroids drops postop, which may not be optimal during pregnancy.
Dr. John Jarstad
Ophthalmology 37 years experience
I agree with Dr Pepose, we do not recommend elective LASIK surgery until 6 weeks after a new mom is finished nursing - so that time frame should be considered in planning LASIK surgery
Mar 10, 2012
Dr. John Jarstad
Ophthalmology 37 years experience
Not recommended: I agree with dr. Pepose. I would not recommend it during pregnancy for any member of my family.
Dr. Majid Moshirfar
Ophthalmology 29 years experience
During pregnancy and while breast feeding. Please wait until your menstrual cycles return to its baseline prior to your pregnancy.
Apr 6, 2012
Dr. Jay Bradley
LASIK Surgery 18 years experience
No: No. Prescription is not stable due to high circulating hormone levels. Wait 6-8 weeks after delivery and breastfeeding is complete.
Dr. Richard Witlin
LASIK Surgery 46 years experience
No: would recommend you wait until after your pregnancy is completed.