what is personality disorder like?

Dr. Nancy Liebler
Critical Care 29 years experience
There are many.: There are many types of personality disorders. The important thing to remember is that traits are only considered to be a disorder if they are inflexible. Inflexible traits that are maladaptive to the environment and cause significant functional impairment or subjective distress are the hallmark of a personality disorder.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Personality disorder: Think of characteristics of a person that are "hard-wired" into that person, often incredibly resistant to any kind of therapy, other than intensive, multiple times a week treatment that goes on for years. Not an easy fix at all. Metaphorically speaking, it's like trying to convince a pomegranate that its a Dalmation.