what can i do to address rotator cuff pain?

Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Luanswered
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
Rest: There are many ways to approach this. The first treatment is usually a period of rest. An injured rotator cuff that stops functioning causes more pain, weakness, and damage when you are forcing it to move. Depending whether there is a tear in the rotator cuff, range of motion exercises are next. Finally, exercises to restore cuff function follows. Tears would not heal and end up with repairs.
Dr. Jan Szatkowski
Orthopedic Surgery 16 years experience
It depends: Many people have degenerative rotator cuff tears as we mature. Non operative conservative treatment should be the first line of treatment. This often consists of NSAIDS, injection, and physical therapy. If conservative treatment fails or if an acute traumatic tear, operative treatment may be warranted. Ask your orthopaedic surgeon for more details. Good luck