I fell off my skateboard onto my thumb, and it's swollen and painful around the joint. it hurts and clicks if i bend it, have i sprained it?

Dr. Aruna Seneviratne
Sports Medicine 27 years experience
Possible UCL tear: The thumb has in important ligament called the ulnar collateral ligament (ucl). It can tear with sports such as skiing. It is sometimes called "gamekeeper's thumb". Certainly, it could be just a sprain. However, fractures and ucl tears are the most serious thumb injuries. The thumb is pretty important. So, my recommendation is to see a hand orthopedic specialist or sports medicine doc who is comfortable with treating these injuries.
Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
Need x-ray & exam: Thumb injuries can be mild to severe and the difference can be very subtle. See a board certified orthopaedic hand surgeon for evaluation and treatment. The thumb should be examined for ligament injury and x-rayed to rule out a fracture. If the ligaments are stable and there is no fracture, the the thumb is sprained and will be fine in a few weeks. Ice, nsaid's and splints may be needed.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 23 years experience
Have it evaluated: Possible cause of your pain may include sprain, bursitis, fracture, contusion, neuritis, but of course there are a multitude of other possibilities. Get the feet inspected by a professional to determine the cause of the problem, as treatment varies depending on the diagnosis.

Last updated Sep 28, 2016