how much sodium can the average adult consume daily?

Dr. Dan Fisher
About 2.3 grams: 100 meq/day which is equal to 2.3 g of sodium or 6 g of sodium chloride and is approximately 1 tsp of salt. Many eat much more than this.
Dr. Jason Cogdill
Nephrology and Dialysis 17 years experience
Too much: Multiple organizations give different answers for what is a low sodium diet. Most recommend 100 meq/day or 2.3g or 2300mg of sodium. The us average intake is about 4000mg of sodium, but you could eat significantly more. A low sodium diet can be very helpful in the control of high blood pressure and body swelling and long term probably decreases heart attacks and strokes.