is it common to have a fine needle biopsy of thyroid nodules before surgery?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
Yes: Fine needle aspiration is often needed before surgery. The result helps the surgeon decides how to proceed with surgery (lobectomy vs. Subtotal vs. Total thyroidectomy +/- lymph node dissections).
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 19 years experience
FNA helps: Fna (fine needle aspiration, i.e. Needle biopsy) helps by clarifying what type of cells are present in a thyroid nodule. The typically can come back as either a) cancerous, b) benign or c) can't tell for sure. It will help your surgeon come up with a surgical plan that best fits you.
Dr. Mark Deutsch
Plastic Surgery 30 years experience
However, if I plan on performing surgery anyway secondary to the clinical presentation; I will often forego the FNA.
Apr 30, 2012
Pathology 49 years experience
If tumor suspected: Fna can provide a diagnosis before surgery and facilitate the planning of surgery and extent of surgery.