what can i do to stop night time teeth grinding?

Dr. Russell Lieblick
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 21 years experience
Nothing, but...: You can't really stop grinding or clenching your teeth at night, but you can prevent or treat the problems that it causes. Myofascial pain, tmd and tooth damage can be prevented by wearing a properly adjusted custom night splint. Symptoms related to tmd or myofascial pain can sometimes resolve by wearing your splint. Treatment takes 2 weeks to 6 months to see improvement. Some wear it indefinitely.
Dr. Scott Harwood
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Night guard: Getting a well constructed night guard may or may not help break the habit. The importance of the night guard is that it will minimize the damage that is being done when you do grind your teeth.