i have a question about infertility? why did they always call women barren when the men might have been at fault

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine 26 years experience
Lack of knowledge ..: Probably it was a combination of ignorance of basic biology (there was no way of testing sperm or even knowing that there could be sperm problems almost half the time) plus a patriarchal society ...
Dr. Darren Mack
Urology 12 years experience
Guys weren't checked: Usually, the first stop when a couple cannot conceive is the woman's gynecologist. The standard teaching with infertility is that the male factor plays a role about 50% of the time, so a semen analysis should always be obtained and properly evaluated by a lab when a couple can't get pregnant. If there are significant abnormalities it should be repeated and the patient referred to a urologist.