How long can you keep tartar in teeth and still get it off?

Dr. James Beck
Dentistry 11 years experience
Comes off easily: Tartar (aka calculus) is a combination of hardened plaque, dead bacteria, minerals from the saliva, nicotine from smoking and what ever other stuff gets stuck in there. I have seen people with so much of it from decades of buildup it looks like they have a second set of teeth. It comes off very easily with the instruments the dentist and hygienist have. Please see dentist every 6 months.
Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dentistry 43 years experience
Wouldn't wait: I'm not sure what you are asking but...If you have tartar (calculus) on your teeth it can all be knocked off at anytime with a good cleaning. But, the longer you wait will allow the tartar to gather, get heavy and start affecting the gums and bone which keep your teeth tightly in your mouth. Remeber to take care of only the ones you want to keep in the long run.