U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

i used peroxide for a tooth ache will it help or not?

8 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jai Prakash
Dentistry 51 years experience
It depends .: Toothache can occur due to various reasons. If you have decay, peroxide will not help. If the problem is due to gums being inflamed, peroxide might help to some extent. You need to see a dentist asap.
Dr. Mark Bornfeld
Dentistry 45 years experience
Probably not...: Most toothaches originate either within a tooth or deep under the gum-- far beyond the reach of the relatively meager antimicrobial effects of hydrogen peroxide. Toothaches most commonly herald the onset of dental infection, and they therefore merit the intervention of a dentist; they do not respond well to home treatment. Until you can see a dentist, use otc analgesics (e.G, ibuprofen) for pain.
Dr. Joshua Cochran
Dentistry 11 years experience
No: Peroxide has some limited antimicrobial/antifungal properties and may be helpful to clear a case of oral thrush, but will not help you with a tooth ache. Common causes and solutions for tooth aches: abscessed tooth - antibiotics, extract or root canal tooth sinus infection/allergies -antibiotic / anti-histimine/decongestant. For temporary relief, take a pain reliever until you can see a dentist.
Dr. AtushaPatel Patel
Dentistry 25 years experience
No: Perioxide was the wonder mouth rinse people once thought. It is known to make teeth porous and cause more sensitivity that is not reversible.
Dr. Lee Hauer
Dentistry 38 years experience
No it will not help : Peroxide is an oxidizing agent and can hurt your mouth if used too much. It is an effective antimicrobial agent for oral sores.
Dr. Eric Kerbs
Dentistry 17 years experience
H2o2 will not help: Peroxide can cause more harm to gum tissue then help . If it is not a diluted solution it will burn , dryout the tissue.
Dr. Marta Milejczyk
Dentistry 25 years experience
No, it will not. : It is used in dental solutions with a special tray for tooth whitening.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
No: Peroxide may help inflamed gum tissue, but an aching tooth will not be helped by applying peroxide on the tissue or tooth itself. See a dentist asap.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 35-year-old member asked:

How does one treat menstrual pain?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Swor
Obstetrics and Gynecology 40 years experience
Menstrual pain: Severe pain should be evaluated by a gynecologist. Mild to moderate cramping can be relieved with NSAID meds like Ibuprofen or naproxen. Check out no-drug methods too like massage, exercise, and a new menstrual belt called ziivaa.
A 43-year-old member asked:

What can be done for debilitating back pain?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery 40 years experience
Several things: Start with gentle but regular aerobic exercise (walking, cycling, water exercise). Build up core strength (tummy and back muscles). Eliminate tobacco use. If such simple measures have been ineffective, consult your primary doctor or a spine physician.
A 43-year-old member asked:

What can I do to treat the ball of my foot if it is swollen and throbbing with pain?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 31 years experience
See a Podiatrist: It may be a stress fracture or other serious condition which needs treatment.
A 37-year-old member asked:

What might a patch of painful red skin be due to?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Family Medicine 37 years experience
Inflammation: Inflammation of some type. If it doesn't heal, you should visit your doctor.
A 41-year-old member asked:

What might cause pain in my cheeks?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
Think flesh/muscles!: Think flesh/tissue and not bone/ligament/disc/nerves with chronic pain! begin a self-care with a wellness program of vits, magnesium glycinate, sleep hygiene, exercise, self massage, chiropractor, yoga, heat, epsom tub soaking, stretching all are needed. In my practice I use acupuncture and myofascial tissue release with trigger points w lidocaine.

Related questions

A 43-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 19-year-old male asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Mar 18, 2019

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.