Tampa, FL

why does my hands up to my elbow keep going numb and tingly. also it seems to happen more when i'm driving and sleeping it wakes me up numerous times.?

Dr. Shahid Rafique
Pinched nerve: Pinched nerve at the wrist (carpal tunnel syndrome) is a common cause for such symptoms. However other causes of peripheral neuropathy should be considered and ruled out by history, physical exam and some blood tests. Diabetes, thyroid disease and some medications are common causes. I suggest you discuss with your pcp.
Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery 23 years experience
Nerve compression.: Numbness and tingling in the hands is usually caused by nerve compression. The nerve can be compressed in the neck, the extremity or both. Your symptoms are consistent with carpal tunnel syndrome (cts). Cts is due to median nerve compression at the wrist, causing numbness/tingling in the thumb, index, long and 1/2 of the ring finger. Cubital tunnel syndrome affects the other fingers in the hand.