what are chances of having a healthy baby if i'm over 40?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Can't be exact: The chance of having a healthy pregnancy/baby decreases over time and the risks increase more so after age of 35. You can improve this chance by keeping yourself in optimal health--don't smoke. Eat healthy, exercise regularly, and don't drink to excess (no drinking when pregnant). I'm sorry i cannot give you the exact chance, but i don't think anyone can. Consult your ob/gyn physician. Good luck.
Varies some: Your risks of having a Down syndrome infant is increasing as you age, at 40-45 about 1%. Add that to a basic risk of 4% unexpected outcome at any age and your looking at 95% frequency of healthy outcome. It would be wise to discuss all the issues with your spouse and docs.If your basic health is good and you have the patience and desire for this extra work, do what you wish.