what could cause back and neck pain?

Dr. Will Moorehead
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 52 years experience
MANY: There are many things that may cause neck & lower back pain. The 2 most common is sprain/strains, and arthritis. Others are disc herniations, infections, tumors, fractures, and congenital deformities. If you are experiencing pain and it does not respond to heat, rest, and stretching exercises, i would suggest that you see your pcp for an evaluation.
Dr. Mitchell Cohn
Pain Management 35 years experience
Many possible causes: It's been suggested that the 'most common causes' may be 'sprain/strain and arthritis.Possibly, true-don't have the stats-but i find the most common easily reversible causes r dysfunctions of thoracic & cervical spine & ribs.A good history followed by proper exam & possible testing, including a good osteopathic hands-on exam could lead, in many cases, to quick resolution of pain, right in office.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management 27 years experience
Many things: In this short space i can't even begin to list all the possible causes. See your pcp if this is a chronic problem.