how painful is excision of stage 1 melanoma?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 19 years experience
Hopefully little: There is variability from person to person, but the location on the body and depth of the melanoma will determine how wide an area around the melanoma needs to be removed. Once you are asleep or numb, the procedure itself should be painless (under local, IV or general anesthesia). Your surgeon can tell you what to expect post-operatively. Do not delay, melanomas can be life threatening!
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgical Oncology 44 years experience
Not bad: Depends to some extent on the location - but if it is stage i, it usually requires a relatively small amount of skin and subcutaneous fat to be removed and can often be done with local anesthesia.
Dr. Eric Whitman
Surgical Oncology 36 years experience
Not too bad: Most people can have the necessary surgery done as an outpatient with local anesthesia only.
Pathology 44 years experience
I've had several suspicious lesions removed. If you're not squeamish, it's actually fun to watch, and I've had zero pain during and after; the same goes for most other folks I've seen.
Sep 3, 2012