What could cause sudden pain in teeth while using crest whitening strips?

13 doctors weighed in across 6 answers
Dr. James Donley answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Open dentinal tubule: The chemicals in whitening strips can penetrate thru the enamel or into the root surface if you have any gum recession. The fluid that is in the dentinal tubules connects to the nerve fibers in the tooth pulp and this stimulates the nerve causing pain.

Answered 10/10/2020

5.7k views

Dr. Jake Richards answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Sensitivity: Bleaching commonly causes and increase in sensitivity even to just air. It usually will subside on its own and it can be reduced by using the whitening material less or for a shorter duration. This is just a side affect of the whitening most likely but if concerned see a dentist.

Answered 6/18/2018

5.7k views

Dr. George Markle answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Very common: Sudden pain while bleaching your teeth with white-strips is a possible sign of tooth decay, gum disease or abcess and should be checked by a dentist.

Answered 8/9/2018

5.2k views

Dr. Felicia Mata answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Gum Recession : Is also possible where the 2nd layer of the teeth (dentin) is exposed in the neck area. It can be very sensitive to temperature, sweets, acid, bleaching material, ..

Answered 5/18/2016

5.2k views

Dr. David Chrisman answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Cosmetic

Sensitivity : Some patients teeth are more sensitive to the bleaching gels than others. This is why they make varying concentration percentages of the active ingredient carbamine peroxide in the dental office solutions. . You should consider stoping the bleaching process till the pain subsides and if you wish to continue bleaching shorten the time you use the strips.

Answered 10/8/2017

5.2k views

Dr. Jerry Hu answered

Specializes in

Many factors: If you have recession (roots exposed), decay, or thin enamel (can be from bruxism and developmental, many factors) all can cause sensitivity when peroxide whitening agents are used.

Answered 5/4/2017

5.2k views