can you high potassium levels lead to a heart problem?

Dr. Alfredo Garcia
YES: It can lead to cardiac arrest.

Why does one have low cortisol and high potassium levels in addison's disease?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatric Endocrinology 21 years experience
See below: Addison's disease is a state of low cortisol or hypocortisolism. In addition to cortsiol, the adrenal galnd also produces a very important hormone called aldosterone. The latter is responsible for reabsorbing sodium from the urine in exchange for potassium. If such hormone is not produced in sufficient quantity (either isolated or in conjunction with cortisol), potassium levels go up.

Can you explain the difference between potassium citrate and potassium carbonate?

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Gastroenterology 27 years experience
Different salts: Both are salts of potassium. One contains carbonate the other citrate. Potassium is the primary ingredient in both n.

On february 23 of 2011nowhere I went to the hospital for having low potassium. And im fully recovered, but when I drink soda I start to get dizzy why?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Nephrology and Dialysis 40 years experience
Unclear to me why: This should not be related to history of low potassium although you need yearly lab to make sure that you do not have that again. Why is being dizzy with soda intake? Could it be related to abdominal distension or ulcer disease? Unclear. Need to check with a doctor who knows your medical history and your vital signs to be able to get a better answer.
TX

Can hyperthyroidism flush out potassium from my body?

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Yes: Yes, especially if the hyperthyroidism leads to diarrhea....A common cause of low potassium.

Is nitroglycerin spray ever used for anything other than angina heart pains?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 44 years experience
Yes: It's also effective for esophageal spasm which may accompany gastroesophageal reflux disease. In contrast to angina, which often improves with a single dose (0.4 mg), it's not uncommon for esophageal disease to require 2 or 3 doses which must be given at 5 minutes intervals to avoid hypotension (low bp) and syncope (passing out).
Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
There's no hard and fast rule - no published guidelines. A 90 year old (from your earlier posts?) is likely to have rigid arteries with labile HTN. In general, BP should not exceed 220 (systolic) or 120 (diastolic) but, again, please see comments above. And, if we're talking about someone 90, you're more likely to do harm than to help by acutely lowering the BP. BP needs gradual control.
Mar 28, 2012