U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 41-year-old member asked:

Is it possible to overdose on vitamins?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Internal Medicine 35 years experience
Yes: Several vitamins, taken in excessively large amounts can be toxic to the body. Vitamin c toxicity is quite common and can cause various skin eruptions and healing issues, that generally resolve when the large amounts of vitamin c are stopped.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

Seneca, SC
A 16-year-old female asked:

Is it possible to overdose on vitamins? If so what are syptoms of overdosing on them?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kerrie Pinkney
Palliative Care 27 years experience
Yes: It depends on the vitamins as to the symptoms. The vitamins k, a, d, e are fat soluble and the ones you can truly "overdose" on. You should not take more than the recommended daily allowance of any vitamin (rda). Changes in blood clotting and skin are most common.
Foss, OK
A 18-year-old female asked:

Can you overdose on vitamins?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
A ; D- very rare: One can only overdose on fat soluble vitamins (a, d, e) except vit. B6 (which should be limited to 250 mg/day). But it takes huge amounts to overdose. The average adult would need to take about 2 million units of a to overdose, or 200, 000 iu/day for several months. Vit d toxicity is rare unless one takes at least 40, 000 iu/day for months. See http://emedicine.Medscape.Com/article/819426-overview.
A 43-year-old member asked:

Is it possible to die from overdosing on gummy vitamins?

1 doctor answer6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
No- unless with iron: The only ingredient potentially found in gummy vitamins that could cause a lethal overdose is iron. However, most gummy vitamins do not contain iron- i actually searched quite a bit and could not find any. This is likely to prevent overdose problems. And if they did you would have to take a huge amount- a lethal dose is at least 60 mg/kg, so an overdose for a 50 lb person would be about 1400 mg.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Provided original answer
To clarify a bit more, I searched online to see if any gummy vitamins contained iron. I could not find any and found several discussion forums where people were complaining that they could not find gummies with iron. Because kids might eat gummy vitamins like candy, I am guessing the manufacturers have decided it is too dangerous to include iron and don't in order to prevent overdoses.
Jun 7, 2012

Related questions

A 30-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 17-year-old female asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 25, 2015

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.