Lone Tree, CO

hormone replacement therapy. estrogen alone increases risk of uterine cancer. adding progesterone increases risk of breast cancer, but reduces risk of uterine cancer. what's the right balance?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine 19 years experience
Individual: Yes, estrogen alone does increase the risk of uterine cancer over time. And yes the whi showed that the combination of a certain synthetic estrogen and a certain synthetic progestin increased the risk of breast cancer. But most specialists do not use those older types of synthetic hormones and with newer medications the risks are lower and different. So a balance can be achieved.