what causes teeth to be crooked at an early age?

Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 33 years experience
Many causes: Genetics can play a part. Bone structure and the amount of bone that is present, as well as the size of the teeth and jaw spacing... Pacifiers and thumb sucking can influence the teeth as well. Take a baby to a pedodontist very early on to stay ahead of dental issues and familiarize your baby with the dentist.
Dr. Mark Bornfeld
Dentistry 45 years experience
A number of factors.: Teeth may assume poor alignment for a number of reasons, including para-functional habits (e.g., thumb or finger sucking, tongue thrust swallowing pattern), skeletal developmental disharmonies, or a lack of sufficient space in the jaws to accommodate the aggregate widths of the teeth.
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dentistry 15 years experience
Crooked teeth: There are so many factors that influence the teeth. Some of these factors are genetic and some are developmental and/or environmental. It would be impossible to figure out which of these is the cause. Most likely it's a combination of factors. Consult with an orthodontist to discuss more and to determine if it's something to be concerned about. Good luck my friend.
Dr. S. jay Bowman
Orthodontics 36 years experience
Many factors: Genetics and environmental issues are at play and contribute to many malocclusions that feature dental crowding. It's not as simple as one parent with small jaws and the other with big teeth. The origins are multi-factorial and polygenetic. In other words, there is not one simple, single cause.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Usually genetics: Crooked teeth are usually a sign of a tooth-size to jaw-size malrelationship. This is usually not self-correcting because growth occurs above and behind the tooth bearing area. There are so many wonderful things an orthodontist can do to help resolve this dilemma. Seek a consultation with an orthodontic specialist now.
Dr. Sami Latif
Dr. Sami Latif commented
Dentistry 37 years experience
I agree with the doctor, I may add loss of baby teeth at an early age due to cavities can alter the path of eruption of the permanent teeth
Mar 2, 2013