AZ

I read things that say to take my one year old to the dentist but the dentist we use said it wasn't needed until she is older. which is correct?

Dr. Willis Hardesty
Dentistry 28 years experience
Both: The american academy of pediatric dentists recommend a child visit the dentist by age one. However, many general practitioners do not recommend nor see children until age three simply for cooperation. If as a parent you feel that earlier intervention is needed, then make sure your child is evaluated at an earlier age.
Dr. Samuel Gold
Better at age 1: Cavities in children are on the rise, so it's best if you can find a dentist early just to discuss risk factors for tooth decay. If you can't find one, make sure that your toddler is off the bottle, and minimize juice intake to once a day with a snack (or give none at all). Also use tap or filtered water instead of bottled water that is not specifically labelled to have Fluoride added. And brush!
Dr. Maurice Lindly
Dentistry 38 years experience
Most one year old children do not do well in a dental chair! However taking your child to the dentist early can be helpful in avoiding anxiety later. I agree that your dentist can educate you on risk factors for decay.
Aug 1, 2012
Depends on dentist: In my state dental review starting at 6m is covered by their medicaid. Some dentists set up their offices to cater to kids & focus on early education & preventative rx. I generally recommend a parent start at a year or later if the primary teeth have not yet erupted. I have plenty of local dentists who are happy to see them at a year. (but some won't).
Dr. Stephen Carstensen
Dentistry 38 years experience
Early Care is Best: So your baby grows up with healthy teeth and enjoys visiting the dentist, it's a great idea to celebrate around the first birthday with a trip to the children's dentist. They love to have a chance to help the little ones and their families learn how to grow up with healthy teeth. While problems at this age are uncommon, it is always better to learn about any of them early.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Age 1: STANDARD OF CARE: All children should see Dentist for 1st appt at eruption oil 1st baby tooth, but no later than 1st b'day. Best if your child sees a Pedodontist, a children's dental specialist, who is trained ini lento-facias growth and development. Children who see Pedodontist starting at age 1 have 60% less dental expenditures than children who do not start until age 2-3 with a General Dentist.