what is the best way to treat a heel spur fracture? 6 weeks without bearing weight or surgery for removal of the broken spur?

Dr. David Laha
Podiatry 38 years experience
Usually conservative: If this is truely a fracture to the heel spur on the bottom of the heel, then conservative care will usually resolve the problem. Cast boot, icing, nsaids, limited standing and walking and elevation often, will usually resolve the problem. This may be weeks to several months. After much improvement, then good shoes and supports, stretching and gradual return to normal activities. Most do well.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Chose: There are advantages and disadvantages of both. So you have to make a choice after hearing the pros and cons of each. I.E if you wait the 6 weeks without weight bearing you are not guaranteed relief and may end up going for the surgery anyway. Surgery requires an incision and subsequent healing from the surgery. If the doc feels the surgery is minimal and will correct the problem - sounds good.
Dr. Marc Foucher
Podiatry 29 years experience
Walking cast/boot.: An acutely fractured heel spur is fairly uncommon. If you definitely had recent trauma to this area and the diagnosis is correct then you can usually be fitted with a pneumatic walking boot for 4-6 weeks. Surgery for this is usually not necessary.
Dr. Darrell Latva
Podiatry 42 years experience
NO SURGERY YET: I would exhaust non-surgical options. Although I've never used it for this problem, I wonder if a bone stimulator would work? And, one thing about removing the broken spur. Sometimes finding that thing is quick and easy; other times, a needle in a haystack.

Last updated Oct 11, 2017