Is it okay to recreationally smoke marijuana?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Child Psychiatry 35 years experience
It's illegal: It is hard to say mj is okay when it's illegal. I know that there are many recreational smokers who get in little trouble with only very occasional use. When recreational use starts occurring more regular like daily, a person is starting to develop perhaps a habit. Sometimes, this leads to use of other drugs. I have seen mostly the people for whom mj has led to dire consequences and addictions.
Dr. Dean Giannone
Drug of abuse.: It's harder than you may think to control marijuana use this way. "Recreational" use often descends into regular use and then addiction. Not worth taking the chance.
Dr. Matthew Roman
Depends on state: in some states it is. It's not bad for health. Might be beneficial actually. It's the new vitamin C. Vitamin Cannabis.
Dr. Marcella Wilson
Specializes in Psychiatry
Does depend on state: But I would have to kindly disagree with my colleague that it is in any way healthy nor is it akin to a vitamin. Vitamins are essential for our bodies to thrive. Cannabis is a non- essential herb that can reek havoc on the brains development, especially in ages 0-21 leading to higher levels of permanent damage in the way of psychosis later in life, amongst other problems like addiction.