is it excess iron intake causing my heavy periods?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
No: Iron supplementation will not cause a heavy period. Often periods are so heavy that they cause anemia and iron supplementation will be prescribed. You should discuss treatment options for heavy periods with your obgyn.
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology 36 years experience
Iron makes new blood: Abnormal periods need evaluation; sonogram, lab tests. Non-surgical options include: birth control pills. Lysteda (non-hormonal rx taken during period), Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud. Minimally invasive options: endometrial ablation (in-office), hysteroscopy polyp removal or fibroid resection; and only if these treatments fail then consider hysterectomy - vaginal or laparoscopic if possible.