is diarrhea considered to be a symptom of getting your period?

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Gastroenterology 27 years experience
Sometimes: The hormonal changes associated with the menstrual cycle have been associted with changes in bowel habits and are a common cause of irritable bowel type symptoms. These can often be controlled with medications and occasionaly with dietary modification and the use of probiotics.
Dr. Karen Jones
Occasionally: When the period is coming a few women will get diarrhea. This is from a chemical the lining of the uterus makes, called prostaglandin. This chemical can cause diarrhea, nausea, and menstrual cramping.