my throat hurts when i swallow. do i need barium swallow x-ray test?

Dr. Mark Diamond
See Your Doctor: Before any tests, you should see your doctor and determine what needs done.
Dr. Mazen Ghani
Radiology 24 years experience
Barium swallow: Is a radiologic test that may be used to evaluate throat symptoms including difficulty swallowing. In addtion to liquid barium, a 12.5 mm barium tablet is given to determine whether a blockage in the esophagus is present.
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Gastroenterology 27 years experience
If your throat hurts a barium swallow may not be helpful. If your esophagus (in your chest) hurts, if you feel food sticking on the way down after you swallow, or if your have chest pain with swallow an upper endoscopy is more appropriate than a barium test.
Jul 10, 2012
Dr. Arthur Heller
Gastroenterology 43 years experience
No, you need to C MD: First things first, get examined. May need an ENT doc for deeper look, or not. Lab tests and any radiology tests (if any), determined after history and physical.