could excessive hair growth be a sign of polycystic ovary syndrome?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Endocrinology 33 years experience
Yes: One of the criteria for diagnosing polycystic ovarian syndrome (pco) is the presence of either high levels of male sex hormones, or symptoms, including abnormal hair growth on the face and/or body to suggest that there is too much male sex hormone present for that person. The excess hair growth can be on the face or body or both. It may or may not go away with treatment for the pco.
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatric Endocrinology 21 years experience
Yes: Yes, if hair is excessive and in a male pattern of distribution, you may have inappropriately elevated androgens such as testosterone. High testosterone level in association with ovarian cysts or irregular menses constitute pcos, a diagnosis for the most part based on exclusion of other causes of high testosterone in post menarchal women.
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Possibly: Unwanted and excessive hair growth in a female could be caused by other problems as well. Pcos is a diagnosis of exclusion once other disorders are eliminated as possible causes. Please see your doctor.