can i take cephalexin to treat a pinguecula?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Louis Krenn
No: A pinguecula is not an infection to be treated with an antibiotic such as cephalexin. It is a non-cancerous growth on the conjunctiva of the eye. Usually no treatment is needed, but if necessary there are eye drops your doctor may use to treat it. If necessary, an eye specialist can remove this surgically as well.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Dr. Michael Ham
27 years experience Ophthalmology
No: A pinguecula, which is a deposit/build up on the white part of the eye (sclera) due to uv light and dryness of the eyes. You can use artificial tears, and use a cap and/or sunglasses when outdoors. If it gets large, constantly irritated (red), or grows over the cornea, you may need medicated drops or surgery.
Answered on Dec 10, 2013
Dr. Richard Bensinger
52 years experience Ophthalmology
No effect: Pingueclua are a normal response to wind, dust and uv light. They are the eyes defense in the middle years to these external forces. They have no symptoms and are usually unnoticed. Cephalexin will not affect a pingueculum nor will any other antibiotic.
Answered on Jan 4, 2015