what exactly is heart stent surgery & are there high risks heart attack or death?

Dr. Liviu Klein
Cardiology 23 years experience
Stent: Coronary stent placement is done percutaneously (i.e. Through a small puncture in the groin or wrist) via an artery, and deploys a small tube/ mesh (the stent) in the blood vessels of the heart, in order to open up a blockage and keep that area open. It stays in your body indefinitely. Some stents are uncoated (bare metal), some are coated with medications in order to prevent further blockage.
Dr. Christopher White
Cardiology 43 years experience
I would add that the peri procedural risks of death are less than 2%, and heart attacks less than 6%
Mar 17, 2013