what is the cd4/cd8 ratio?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
Simple calculation: It is the ratio between the number of cd4+ lymphocytes and cd8+ lymphocytes in the body of the person being tested.

Please explain reverted cd4/cd8 ratio?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
Do you mean Reversed: A permanently low cd4/cd8 ratio may be a poor sign prognostically( after for example)myocardial infarction and .But some time these ratio will revese after two or three days of the problem.

What do you suggest if my cd4/cd8 ratio is 3.27 and the reference range is 0.54 - 2.97.?

Dr. Joram Seggev
Specializes in Allergy and Immunology
Can be normal: Why was the test run? The ration you quote is for 95 out of 100 people (95% confidence limits). So you are a little out of that range. In some autoimmune diseases, (where the immune system acts against the body), the ratio may be even higher. It is the opposite of what happens in AIDS.If you have no disease to go with the test, forget about it.

My cd4/cd8 ratio is 3.27 and the reference range is 0.54 - 2.97.? What should I do?

Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 40 years experience
Nothing: Results are close to normal, I'd be worried if the other way round, just follow up with the provider who ordered the test, as those results weren't in isolation, other parameters where tested as well, looks like they were within range, good luck
Denmark

My cd4/cd8 ratio is low (0.6) but my leukocyte count is going up over time, now just above labs range. What does it suggest?

Dr. Corey Clay
Allergy and Immunology 10 years experience
Low cd4/cd8: Normal ratio for cd4/cd8 is 2.0, so yours is low. By leukocyte, do you mean WBC as part of the CBC? Do you know the total lymphocyte count? The ratio indicates that you either have low CD4 count or a high CD8 count. This may be transient in response to acute infection or due to chronic inflammatory process. Since much more info about your medical scenario is needed, recommend virtual consult.

Cd4 and cd8 ratio is 4.0 And it says my T cells are elevated. Why does that mean?

Pathology 49 years experience
See below: All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Having said that, the data you provided is not a cause for concern. Why was the test done? Do you have any symptoms? What were the results of other tests? It would be best discussed with the doctor who ordered the test.

Last updated Sep 29, 2016