i had normal delivery about 15 months back. i took epidural anaesthasia .i have lower back pain, also spot where epidural was injected hurts. why?

Dr. PAUL EUN
Dr. PAUL EUNanswered
May not be related: Did this pain start immediately after delivery and persisted until now? Occaisinally, I have had patients complain of back pain after epidural but it does not last very long. I think it is very unusual to have this problem 15 months later as a result of having epidural anesthesia. In any case, you should go see a doctor to get it checked out.
Dr. Richard Guyer
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 46 years experience
Not unusual: Some patients will complain of sensitivity at the site of the epidural for delivery. In most cases the pain eventually subsides and usually is not indicative of a more serious problem. Low back pain however can occur after delivery due to lumbar strain and at this time it is best to let a spine specialist evaluate you.
Dr. Benjamin Nguyen
Common problem: Pregnancy causes increase in hormone levels, including progesterone. Progesterone is known to cause laxity in muscles and tendons in the body, including those in your back and spine. Typically the positioning required to deliver vaginally and the strain of holding your new child can cause back problems. Rarely does the epidural needle itself cause chronic localized pain.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
See below: The body really does not like a piece os steel being pushed through the muscles (epidural) and so it can show some signs of the trauma for a few months. The site may still be tender for that long as well, i know mine was. However, 15 months is too long for the epidural pain to remain. I would consider other explanations and discuss it with your doctor on your next visit.
Dr. Tarek Shahbandar
Anesthesiology 22 years experience
Lumbar strain : Most back pain during labor actual occurs because of lumbar strain. It just so happens that we also place epidural catheters around the same low back area where you develop pain from lumbar strain. If pain persists, get it checked by your doctor to see if there is another cause and good luck.