my year old daughter (who has just gotten teeth) is starting to bite when she doesn't get her way or becomes frustrated; me, other babies, toys, etc.?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Robin Larabee
25 years experience Pediatrics
Feedback: Keep telling her that biting isn't nice and offer her words to express her needs instead of biting. If you (and her other caregivers) are consistent, biting should quickly give way to more acceptable behavior. Also, if you ever "play bite" with her, stop now, as it makes her feel that biting is ok in some circumstances, when it really is not. Good luck!
Answered on Oct 1, 2015
10
Dr. Shalabh Bansal
12 years experience Pediatrics
Teething and biting: This is normal behavior -the child is curious about the world around them and one of the ways they can learn about it other then vision and hands, is by their teeth. Unfortunately, now that they have teeth, the "biting" does not help. :) a soft correction and distraction, distraction, distraction is the appropriate way of preventing this. Just remember, this is a process and not a one time fix.
Answered on Mar 17, 2015
1
Dr. Kuzi Hsue
Dr. Kuzi Hsue answered
29 years experience Dentistry
Teething?: This problem is highly unlikely related to her teeth. However, many children will chew on toys when teething. Most likely this is a behavioral issue not dental related. If she is teething you could try frozen teething rings, they will help and soothe the process.
Answered on Oct 8, 2012
Dr. Harlan Wilson
44 years experience Dentistry
Habits: Make sure she doesnot get her way when she bites. If she learned this habit from other children or if she learned it from an uncomfortable situation she was in. Take her to the pediatrician if her bad habits persist. Teething could stress her and she could grow out of it.
Answered on Sep 15, 2012