side effects of using prevpac (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) (for h-pylori)?

Dr. Jason Hemming
Gastroenterology 17 years experience
Yes: Usually nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.

IL

When should I begin to feel better after taking a prevpac (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) for h pylori?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Couple of weeks....: The ulcers may take several weeks to heal...You may actually get more symptoms after starting the medication...Because as the bacteria die off, the stomach heals and able to produce more acid than before...So some people may get this increase for awhile...The Prevpac (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) is not 100% effective so follow-up with doc for test-of-cure (often a breath-test).. If much worse, consult doci.. Good luck..

Just started on prevpac (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) for helicobacter pylori --how long will healing take?

Dr. Ajay Acharya
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
3-6w: Some improvement can be felt 10-14 days. Then gradual improvement.
Beverly Hills, CA

I read a lot of scary stories about prevpac (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) treatment for h.Pylori online. Should i be worried about taking these pills? I don't know what to do.

Dr. Carlo Contreras
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Take it: If you have been prescribed prevpac, (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) my advice is to call your doctor to discuss your specific concerns, and then take it. Not treating h. Pylori with the Prevpac (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) can lead to future ulcers, perforations, and ultimately cancer in the more distant future. The benefits of the medicine generally outweight the rare side effects.
Biloxi, MS

Can you develop gadtritis after prevpac (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) treatment for h pylori?

Dr. Christopher Nicora
Unlikely : Prev pak is the treatment for h pylori associated gastritis. It is unlikely to develop gastritis after treatment. The prev pak is difficult to consume and can irritate your stomach.

How bad should I feel on prevpac (lansoprazole amoxicillin and clarithromycin) for h pylori?

Dr. Thomas Schussler
Gastroenterology 22 years experience
Precpac side effects: Most common side effects are from the antibiotics and include nausea and metallic taste. Taking them with food may help. Serious skin rashes could occur.

Last updated Jul 20, 2012