Will i be addicted to dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) if i take it 5 times a week for 3 year?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Child Psychiatry 43 years experience
Depends on dose/use: If you are taking Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) to treat adhd, are getting good benefit from it at appropriate dosages, and do not need to keep raising the dose because your losing a "kick" or some other benefit from it, then you are highly unlikely to be addicted however long you take the medication. The fact that you are taking it 5x/week and not having problems on days you don't suggests you're doing okay.
Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine 34 years experience
Recreational usage: Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) addiction is extremely serious today, but there is a slight upside to this type of addiction as well. While many other drugs that are highly addictive can have very serious consequences for the health and even the life of the addicted, the consequences of this drug tend to be more mental than physical.
Dr. Paul Pancner
Clinical Psychology 18 years experience
In my clinical experience, if people are prescribed amphetamines for conditions such as adhd and within fda guidelines, they do not run into difficulties with physical withdrawal or dependence. If taking more tgan prescribed, it's of course a different matter.
Jun 22, 2012