what causes athlete's foot to come back?

Dr. David Laha
Podiatry 38 years experience
Fungal reinfection: Athlete's foot is a fungal infection of the skin. Usually using an topical antifungal consistently will resolve the problem. This will commonly reappear. Dr l.
Dr. Joe Griffin
Podiatry 16 years experience
Recurrence is common: The infection can recur if your feet are exposed to the fungus again (from fungal toenails, public showers- gym and hotel). It helps to prevent recurrence by controlling foot moisture, use antifungal foot powders, and wear shower shoes in public areas. There is also a device called the sterishoe which kills 99% of fungus and bacteria in your shoes.