what should i do with unused breast milk?

Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Specializes in General Practice
Don't waste it!: Freeze your unused milk. Once your baby has sucked on a bottle you can no longer save the leftover milk. So if you're pumping 5 oz but your baby only eats 4 oz, put 4 oz in the bottle; if he's still hungry give him the remaining ounce, but if he's full you can freeze the leftover. Breastmilk last 3-4 months in a standard freezer. You can use it in a bottle later or mix it into some rice cereal.
Dr. Diane Minich
Dispose of it: If it is not used in the recommended time limit dispose of it.
Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
you can store unused breast milk in the refrigerator for 24 hrs or freeze it for 6 month and use it later.Rewarm in a warm water (not in the microwave). Don't waste it!
Sep 1, 2013