Singapore

can diabetic patient take antibiotic pills like augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) 625 mg without consulting doctor? is there any side effects?

Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate): Do not take Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) until you have looked on the web for "www.drugs.com/augmentin.html" . Once you have read and understood that - not difficult - ask your doctor if that is OK with your diabetes. You should also let doctor know why you want to take this. There may be better options.
Dr. Alan Feldman
Endocrinology 41 years experience
Not advised: you should never take an antibiotic without consulting your doctor. Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) has may side effects associated with it (diarrhea, rash, yeast infections). Your doctor needs to assess whether you have a bacterial infection that should be treated with an antibiotic, and then decide which antibiotic is best for you.