Canada

i drank and used cocaine for 3 years but quit 20 years ago. would heart damage from my past show on echo or ekg by now. i get palps and worried.

Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Hospital-based practice 21 years experience
Possibly; tell MDs: The effects of drugs can show up 10+ yrs (according to some reports) after use. The echo could show a problem in d "squeeze" of d heart (how well it moves); the EKG could show a rhythm problem if u have palpitations during the test. However, they may be negative. A heart biopsy can show ("contraction band/alcohol") myopathy but u can try to avoid this test by telling docs ur history & being honest