U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Canada
A 41-year-old female asked:

i drank and used cocaine for 3 years but quit 20 years ago. would heart damage from my past show on echo or ekg by now. i get palps and worried.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Hospital-based practice 21 years experience
Possibly; tell MDs: The effects of drugs can show up 10+ yrs (according to some reports) after use. The echo could show a problem in d "squeeze" of d heart (how well it moves); the EKG could show a rhythm problem if u have palpitations during the test. However, they may be negative. A heart biopsy can show ("contraction band/alcohol") myopathy but u can try to avoid this test by telling docs ur history & being honest

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership

Similar questions

A 38-year-old member asked:

Can heart problems/racing heart make it difficult to breathe?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Rick Koch
Cardiology 22 years experience
Yes: The heart and lungs work together and shortness of breath can result from pulmonary or cardiac or both . Please see a physician for further evaluation.
A 34-year-old member asked:

Is it normal for EKG and stress tests to be normal after stent & 2 angioplasties were done?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Vardhan Reddy
Vascular Surgery 36 years experience
Yes/no : 85% chance of being abnormal. And it can be normal in 15%of pts.
A 46-year-old member asked:

Can eating milk chocolate decrease my risk for heart disease?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Strader
Cardiology 22 years experience
No: Dark chocolate, in moderation (1 small piece / day) appears to help lower the risk of heart and vascular disease. Milk chocolate does not have the same benefits due to the additives used to turn it into "milk" chocolate.
A 36-year-old member asked:

How much experience must I expect in a personal trainer for heart rehab?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Rick Koch
Cardiology 22 years experience
Cardiac rehab: Ecrrcose physiologists or technicians who work in cardiac rehab have specialized training that personal trainers do not. Get enrolled in a dedicated cardiac rehab program.
A 38-year-old member asked:

What diet will prevent the progression of heart disease?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Internal Medicine 35 years experience
Somewhat: Diet with modification of fat intake, coupled with exercise can help slow heart disease progression. To say it can prevent it is probably stretching things. However, there is no question that regular exercise coupled with good diet habits and a physician's guidance imo can clearly improve one's cardiac disease status. I believe considerable research exists to back up that statement.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership
Last updated Feb 15, 2015

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.