my ob wants me to gain a minimum of 20lbs during pregnancy (my prepregnancy weight 122lbs height 5'4"). i lost 3lbs in 1st tri, 6lbs total by 15wk, continue losing weight and feeling sick day and night. should i worry about it?

Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques
Weight in pregnancy: A woman your size is expected to gain about 25-35 lbs . Losing weight is not unusual, & the expected weight gain is about 1 lb per month. 1st 4 months. During this difficult time your goal is to remain hydrated. Try making ginger tea w the root bought from the market & drink fluid at room temp. Your baby is so tiny now, no bigger than a lime by 12 wks that you have enough to feed him or her.
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Preg/losing weight: This is a concern. Advise you discuss this with your doctor asap as losing weight indicates poor nutrition for both you and the baby. You require special treatment.
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Pregnancy weight: It is not uncommon to lose weight during the first trimester of pregnancy due to nausea and/or vomiting. However, the 2nd trimester usually restores one's appetite as the nausea dissipates and better nutritional intake takes place. It is not only the 20 expected lbs. that are an issue but the rate at which it is gained. Your OB MD should be monitoring this issue closely.
Dr. Douglas Lawson
No: Its very common to lose weight from nausea and vomitting and food aversion up to 14 weeks or so. Now that you're over 15 weeks some weight gain should start happening slowly. Don't forget most of your weight gain is in the third trimester. Only issue you need to address is whether or not your nausea and vomitting needs a different medical approach to make it better.