can my 4 year old take cough medicine and tamiflu (oseltamivir) at the same time?positive influenza test 4 days ago, lingering cough,fever free 48 hours.contagious?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Specializes in Pediatrics
Flu and cough: yes. He can take both together. He will secret the virus for sometime
Answered on Dec 27, 2014
1
Dr. Deborah Ungerleider
36 years experience Pediatrics
Yes, most: over-the-counter children's cough medications can be taken with Tamiflu, (oseltamivir) but the cough medication may not have any added benefit and will not shorten the course. If he/she is still coughing, I would consider him/her to still be somewhat contagious through those respiratory droplets released by the cough, although one is most contagious while the fever is there
Answered on Dec 27, 2014
1