will braces affect my tmj?

Dr. James Merrett
Dentistry 29 years experience
Braces/TMJ: The simple answer is yes. One it may make your TMJ/TMD symptoms better, or two it may make them worse. I would suggest you discuss this with your Orthodontist/Dentist, before treatment so you know what to expect. If you have already started treatment, bring this up with your Doctor so you can both follow this closely.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Guideline: For patients with TMJ Dysfunction + malocclusion (bad bite), if malocclusion reduced by a specialist Orthodontist (treatment by General Dentist less predictable) 90% of the time TMJ symptoms reduced, 7% stay the same, 3% get worse.
Feb 1, 2017
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
Pain Management 36 years experience
No evidence: Scientific studies have supported the conclusion that orthodontics neither causes nor cures TMJ disorders. Moreover, many patients that have TMJ problems have normal bite and never had braces before.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Perhaps: Orthodontic treatment can contribute to or aggravate a tMJ condition. Make sure your doc is a board certified orthodontist. Many are not.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
TMJ and Ortho: Although there is no direct correlation between Orthodontic treatment and TMJoint Dysfunction, the position of your lower jaw in relation to your upper jaw plays a role in TMJoint symptoms. As the position of your teeth effect jaw position, it follows that symptoms both long and short term can be affected. An Orthodontic specialist should be aware of & take this into account in treatment planning