why do my eyes hurt when i look into a bright light?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Protective reflex: The only source of bright light while eyes were evolving was the sun. Staring into the sun could cause a burn of the light reception and permanent damage. So the eye has evolved to avoid such an exposure. The eye does not "know" whether it is sunlight or bright artificial light so it reacts with pain and avoidance when a light is centered on the eye.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Reflex: Strongly bright light can be uncomfortable and maybe even dangerous. The discomfort you feel is a protective reflex and is your eyes way of telling you not to stare at such light.