West Palm Beach, FL

I was diag. with foliculitis on face & neck 4 days ago, given oral cephalexin and topical clindamycin. it's worse now. is this the right treatment?

Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dermatology 29 years experience
Perhaps it is not: folliculitis. Was a culture performed, if not go back to dermatologist and have them do a culture of lesion.
Dr. Tarek Naguib
Nephrology and Dialysis 40 years experience
It is; but, recheck: Sometimes the infection is due to a resistant bacteria like MRSA staph which may or may not respond to this appropriate treatment. Other options exist. So, check with your doctor to have another treatment like bactrim, (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) for instance.
Dr. John Wales
Emergency Medicine 42 years experience
Folliculitis Plan: I recommend getting a buff/puff type of cleaning pad to gently clean your skin. Also, I would recommend using Hibiclens liquid soap -which is sold over the counter. This is the BEST antiseptic soap available, especially if there is concern for staph bacteria contributing to the inflammation/folliculitis. And I would switch to doxycycline or minocycline instead of cephalexin. Good luck!

Last updated May 11, 2015