United Kingdom

I had my mirena (levonorgestrel) coil removed 3 weeks ago i started bleeding straight away then stopped but now two weeks on and iam bleeding again filling a pad up every hour should i go to hospital?

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine 45 years experience
Or to GYN office ...: The fact that you stopped bleeding but have restarted and it is quite heavy is concerning. It will very likely need an intervention to stop the bleeding so go to your GYN's office (the one who removed the IUD, if possible) TODAY, or to the ER. The IUD may have been more deeply embedded into the wall of the uterus and/or taking the IUD out caused trauma. You need to be seen today! Good wishes!

Last updated Dec 20, 2014